Resources and case studies
A number of teams from across our partnership are using Value Based Healthcare methodology to improve the care they provide to our patients and service users.
Measuring outcomes that matter to patients and carers
- COPD – we implemented integrated practice units to improve value in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Our intervention resulted in a 50% increase in pulmonary rehabilitation referrals, 34% reduction in COPD admissions, and a 17% reduction in length of stay
- Parkinson’s disease – we enhanced clinical management of non-motor symptom burden in Parkinson’s Disease. Our intervention is now used worldwide for cutting-edge clinical trials and patients feel empowered to report non-motor symptoms and receive appropriate treatment
- Palliative care – we measured what outcomes mattered most to patients. Our Palliative Care Outcome Scale is now used internationally and has been adopted as routine in nine hospitals and community palliative care services across south London
- Catheter care – we improved catheter care to help people lead more independent lives and reduce hospital admissions. Our intervention has resulted in a 30% reduction in catheter-associated urinary tract infections in our hospitals
Optimising value by understanding outcomes and cost
- Three Dimensions for Diabetes (3DFD) care – we integrated psychological, social, and diabetes care. Our intervention yielded savings of £225,000 in one year, a 45% reduction in A&E attendances and predicted savings of £2,425,000 over five years
- Transforming Outcomes and Health Economics through Imaging (TOHETI)
- Orthopaedics – we redesigned the orthopaedic care pathway to manage patient care on condition rather than departmental basis. Our intervention reduced length of stay to well below the national average and resulted in £1.5-£2m in annual net savings.
Enabling value through informatics
Five ways to administer value
Watch our Value Based Healthcare mini-series, 'Five ways to administer value' featuring Professor John Moxham, King's Health Partners Director of Value Based Healthcare.
Find out more about Value Based Healthcare at King's Health Partners and across the world:
- Defining Value-based Healthcare in the NHS (Centre for Evidence Based Medicine, April 2019) – authors include Dr Kate Haire from King’s Health Partners.
- What can others learn from implementing value-based healthcare in Wales? (Prof John Moxham, Joseph Casey, HFMA Wales Annual Conference, September 2019)
- Value Based Healthcare – can it be applied to gynaecological cancer? (Prof John Moxham, Dr Kate Haire, British Gynaecological Cancer Society Annual Scientific Meeting, July 2019)
- Application of Patient Reported Outcome Measures to Value Based Healthcare (Dr Lucinda Gabriel, Joseph Casey, UK PROMs Research Conference, June 2019)
- What does value really mean in healthcare? (Prof John Moxham, Joseph Casey, London Clinical Senate Forum, May 2019)
- Value-based healthcare analysis of joint replacement surgery for patients with primary hip osteoarthritis (Mr Toby Colegate-Stone, Dr Lucinda Gabriel, Joseph Casey et al., BMJ Open Quality, June 2019)
- Poster: Value based healthcare analysis of hip replacement surgery (Mr Toby Colegate-Stone, Dr Lucinda Gabriel, Joseph Casey, ICHOM conference, Rotterdam, May 2019)
- Reflections on the Aneurin Bevan University Hospital Board experience (Prof John Moxham, Dr Lucinda Gabriel, Joseph Casey, March 2019)
- Knowledge exchange: capturing what matters (Dr Noel Baxter, Dr Katherine Sleeman, Karin Nilson, Palliative Care CAG Knowledge Exchange, March 2019)
- Value Based Healthcare and Pharmacy Systems Leadership (Prof John Moxham, Our Healthier South East London Pharmacy Systems Leadership event, March 2019).
- Measuring the impact of research in improving outcomes and value (Prof John Moxham, Milan research symposium, November 2018)
- Value Based Healthcare – Learning from practice Our reflections from visiting Aneurin Bevan University Health Board (Joseph Casey, April 2018)
- Value Based Healthcare across King's Health Partners (Prof John Moxham, , King's College Hospital conference on the Strategy That Will Fix Healthcare, May 2018)
- King's Health Partners - Value in Practice (Prof John Moxham, Mr Toby Colegate-Stone, Dr Lucinda Gabriel, Joseph Casey, HFMA Value Masterclass, February 2018)
- Increasing value: The King's College Hospital Experience (Mr Toby Colegate-Stone, Mr Joydeep Sinha, et al., British Journal of Healthcare Management, June 2016)
- Value Based Reporting and Management Shared Purpose Report by King's College Hospital and the associated project evaluation report by King's College London (2015).