2019 is King’s Health Partners tenth anniversary year.
Since first being accredited as an Academic Health Sciences Centre (AHSC), King’s Health Partners has led the way in breaking down barriers to combine basic and translational health research, clinical care and education to create world-leading improvements in healthcare.
As an engine room for innovation, since 2009:
- 22 Clinical Academic Groups and five institutes have been established in core areas to bring together experts and offer patients the very best care and treatment, based upon reliable research evidence
- One of the largest centres for healthcare education in Europe has been created – including 80 free courses for our staff on the King’s Health Partners Learning Hub
- We have been at the forefront of bringing together patient-centred metrics and cost effectiveness in care
- We have involved more and more patients in clinical trials, with 600 trials running at any given moment
- Our research outputs have grown by more than 50% over ten years, and 13.5% of all UK hospital research comes from our three NHS partner trusts
- We have developed unparalleled facilities for experimental medicine
- To date, we have screened 65,000 patients for signs of anxiety or depression as part of our Mind & Body Programme alongside their physical health needs
- We have become home to five Medical Research Council (MRC) Centres, two National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) Biomedical Research Centres, and a Centre of Research Excellence for the British Heart Foundation. (include Cancer Research UK Cancer Centre and AI Centre.
We serve a wider population of eight million people and see around 4.8 million patient contacts per year.
I congratulate Kings Health Partners on their 10th anniversary as a Department of Health and Social Care Academic Health Science Centre. Significant progress to align the NHS and academic partners has seen a transformation of health and care delivery in South East London. Over the years, the establishment of the clinical academic groups has underpinned substantial research funding investments, enabling the engine of world-class excellence in health research to be coupled with academic expertise in medical education and training. Through this strategic alignment of the partners, real progress has been made and the AHSC is working across all its programmes to get the best outcomes for the local population.
Professor Chris Whitty - Chief Medical Officer for England.
In the last year alone:
- 32,000 patients have been screened for anxiety or depression in acute clinics at our partner trusts
- 38,000 people took part in clinical studies across our partners
- Two million patients have benefited from our informatics work, making better use of data across ourhealth system
- £180,000,000 was awarded in new research grants, up 27% on the year before.
I am a strong advocate of Academic Health Science Centres – bringing together the NHS, National Institute for Health Research, Biomedical Research Centres and universities helps us get the best research for patients.
The best research in the world is of limited value unless you can put it into practice. This type of partnership brings together the brightest minds to offer patients the very best care and treatment, based on quality evidence. The world looks on in envy at the collaboration achieved at King’s Health Partners – congratulations on your 10-year anniversary and I look forward to seeing even more success going forward.
Professor Dame Sally Davies, UK Special Envoy on Antimicrobial Resistance.
Find out more about our impact:
- Read Innovation Impact Stories: 22 collaborations from our CAGs to improve patient care.
- View a collection of graphics highlighting CAG impact
Our Academic Health Sciences Centre is coming to the end of our second accreditation cycle (2014-19) and end of our most recent strategy ‘Improving health and wellbeing – locally and globally’.
We are working with our partners to develop a new strategy for King’s Health Partners for the next five years (2019-2024), to deliver sustainable, impactful innovation for our partners and beyond.