Virtual visiting support for families
How it works:
The Life Lines project uses secure online platform, aTouchAway™ so that families can connect safely and securely with loved ones in intensive care. Life Lines also gives families the opportunity to ask the clinical team questions, and better understand the environment where they are being treated.
How to set up a video visit with the ICU or ward team
If you have a relative in ICU, the team on the ward can set you up for video visit. If the team have your correct email address, you just need to carry out a few simple steps to get started:
- If using mobile, please go to your Android or iOS app store and download Aetonix aTouchAway app on your smart phone or tablet. If you are using a PC, download aTouchAway
- Click Create yourself an account and follow instructions to register. You will need an email address.
- Once signed in, notify the hospital that you have registered in aTouchAway and have the hospital invite you as a contact of the patient so that you can be connected to the patient.
- You will receive a notification via email and in the aTouchAway app once the hospital has added you as a contact of your loved one. Accept the contact request in aTouchAway and you will be ready for a virtual visit. The hospital will inform you when to expect the call.
If you have a question about the steps above, you can explore the FAQ's page here.
The password rules for the aTouchAway app, featured in the image above, are as follows:
Your chosen password must:
- contain at least 1 uppercase alphabetical character
- contain at least 1 lowercase alphabetical character
- contain at least 1 numeric character
- contain at least 1 special character of the following: !@#$%^&
- be 12 characters or longer
- not contain first or last part of display name
- not contain 3 consecutive identical characters or numbers (ex: aaa, 111)
- not contain more than two sequential characters on a keyboard (ex: qwe, 123)
How your family can communicate with the ICU ward/team
- You and your family members can sign into the aTouchAway™ App on your smartphone or desktop/Mac using the email and password you have set up
- The settings are such that audio and video functions may only be initiated by the ICU/ward team, not by the family member
- aTouchAway™ is a digitally secure platform and the system is password protected to ensure both family and patient data is kept completely safe. To read more about the security, privacy and information governance of the project, visit our About us Life Lines page.